Robey’s mission is to explore, develop and produce provocative theatre about the Global Black Experience; to tell stories audiences have never heard before, but will never forget. Robey’s name and mission reflect the founders’ respect for Paul Robeson, “Robey” to his friends. The work we do at Robey reflects our commitment to celebrating the universal struggles that define human existence.
The Artist/Production Registry Intern will work closely with Ben Guillory, Co-Founder and current Producing Artistic Director, to catalog the numerous artist and production headshots and resumes into a registry for the Robey website and for Robey staff and guest directors use.
The intern project goals would enhance the Robey mission by generating an effective and efficient method for Mr. Guillory to select cast/crew for future productions and events including the Playwright’s Lab readings and Weekends in Leimert. It would also document who has auditioned for and worked with The Robey o The 2015 project follows our twentieth year of providing live theatre for Los Angeles audiences. The additional events that occurred as part of this remarkable year have vastly expanded our network. The 1st Inaugural Paul Robeson Theatre Festival which took place July 18 & 19, 2014, increased the number of participants in our Playwrights Workshop by 40% as well as the number of actors who attended general auditions. The intern would be instrumental in organizing these new contacts. o The artist/production registry on the website would be created and designed by the intern through working closely with our Webmaster.
This registry would be shared with school theatre productions/community groups who occasionally mount plays and with other established local theatres from time to time.
The Robey Theatre Company is often called to recommend artist and other theatre professionals, this registry will be an efficient way to look up and share information without a casting person having to come and physically go through headshots and resume in the office which are not sorted.
The registry will be a key component in developing one of three fundraisers, which will honor the many artists associated with The Robey who enjoy successful careers. The intern will assist with the planning and implementation of this event.
The Summer Intern will spend time gathering items such as:
- Actor’s Headshots
- Actor’s Resumes
- Playwrights Headshots
- Playwrights Resumes
- Production Resumes (stage manager, set designer, lighting designer, et al)
- Contact Information
- Program Records (playwrights lab, advanced scene workshop, military vets technical theatre training, educational outreach, ad hoc Readings)
- Scripts (unsolicited, workshop product, produced, read)
- Theatre Ephemera (playbills, posters, mailers, fliers, program sheets, Bio’s, Head Shots, print reviews, on-line only reviews)
- Multi-media audio/visual production product
The Intern will:
- Organize existing items for initial assessment and consideration o Schedule and assist with auditions
- Research other online registries
- Learn about and research the casting process to better understand auditions and how to best set up the registry
- Network with other theatre companies regarding their process or organizing artist/production information
- Create general categories of items on-hand (gender, physical characteristics, skills, et al)
- Attend orientation with staff to refine categories as needed and learn methods for primary storage decisions (in house registry and online registry).
- Gather ideas for utilizing the registry to improve outreach and marketing for the following season
- Matching playwrights with their work
- Matching Actors with their roles and characteristics
- Help execute a fundraiser utilizing the registry
The Robey Artist/Production Registry Intern should possess the following skills and personal qualities: • Able/willing to assume responsibility for his/her assigned tasks • Able to control personal emotional equilibrium in stressful environment • Good listener • Observant • Attention to details • Problem solver • Considerate • Sense of humor • Passion for the arts/theatre/ethnic-specific cultural heritage & aesthetic • Organized; detail-orientated; efficient • Able to prioritize tasks • Punctual & dependable • Proficient in word processing skills required to operate a small business including Word; Excel; Power point; Outlook; QuickBooks; Adobe applications • Be flexible in fulfilling 40-hour work week • Be able to travel to and from Downtown work location • Adept with social media • Experience with web design preferred